Thursday, October 7, 2010


Our Big E Adventure


If you've never been to the Big E, you are missing out. There is literally nothing more from a fair that you could possibly ask for. Where do I start? I suppose I'll start with the state houses. Each of the New England states gets it's own building. In each building, different businesses set up shop and sell their local goods. Mostly: food. This year we waited in line for one of the most sought-after foods at the fair: the Maine baked potato. Even without the sour cream, cheese, chives, and butter, the potato itself tasted better than any baked potato I've ever had. Last year Adam & I spent more time exploring the houses than we did this year, as we were a little short on time. Last year,we had some maple cotton candy and sampled some maple butter in Vermont. For some reason, every year I end up getting pizza in the CT house. Some of the other foods floating around in the multiple houses are lobster rolls, chowder, pies, fudge, and anything else that is rooted in New England and delicious.

Aside from the state houses, you also have your typical fair, complete with rides, overpriced games, and anything fried you could want. I've seen deep fried oreos, twinkies, snickers, beer, etc. This year I stumbled across what I consider to be, by far, the grossest thing you could deep fry: a bologna sandwich. Did I mention all these things are battered before they're friend? A small part of me wanted to order it just to see it.

Some of the other spectacles to check out while you are there: horse shows, concerts, exhibit halls, farm animals, agriculture...and so on and so forth. Oh, and of course, worlds smallest and largest horses.

So this past weekend, with Adam and two of my best friends (Ashleigh & Alicia), we headed to the Big E. Here's a few pictures for your enjoyment!

^ a man and his horse share a moment ^


No comments: